James Mukhwana's statement to IPOA
Following the death of Albert Ojwang', who was "allegedly" murdered in central Police Station in Nairobi, James Mukhwana had this to say:
Image: James Mukhwana in court (photo courtesy)
Image; Deputy Inspector General of Police Eliud Lagat.
Image: OCS Central police station Nairobi Talam.
Image: Albert Ojwang',
“I, James Mukhwana, declare:
1. That I am speaking to Justin Nyatete, investigator with the Independent Policing Oversight Authority.
2. That I understand the information I provide will be used by the Authority for the purposes of its investigations.
3. That I understand the information I provide may be shared with the Director of Public Prosecutions for purposes of prosecution.
4. That I may be required to appear in person before a Kenyan criminal court.
5. That I have the right to request privacy of my identity.
6. That I reserve the right to legal representation prior to speaking with the investigator and/or if I am summoned to provide testimony in court.
Signature of Witness: [Signed] 261950, 13/06/2025
Signature of Investigator: _______________________
⸻
WITNESS STATEMENT
I am the aforementioned police officer currently stationed at Central Police Station, performing general duties. I joined the National Police Service in 2018. I undertook my initial training at the Administration Police Training College, now known as Embakasi A Campus. I graduated in 2019 and was first deployed to Marsabit County, where I served for two years. Following the merger of police services, I was transferred to the Kenya Police Service.
I recall vividly that on 7th June 2025, I reported for duty at 0800 hours and relieved PC Kimani from cell sentry duties. While stationed at the report office, Deputy OCS IP Nganga approached me and said:
“Mukhwana, umechoma. Unaitwa kwa OCS.”
(“Mukhwana, you’ve made a mistake. You are wanted by the OCS.”)
I asked him, “Afande nimechoma nini?” (“Sir, what have I done wrong?”)
He proceeded toward the OCS’s office, and I followed him. This was around 1930 hours. Upon entering the office, the deputy OCS locked the door.
Inside, the OCS, seated at his desk, addressed me:
“Mukhwana,” I responded, “Yes, sir.”
He asked, “How long have you worked here in the office?”
I replied, “Around two years.”
He then said, “There’s a directive from DIG Mr. Langat.
Do you know him?”
I replied, “Yes.”
He continued, “There are officers from DCI headquarters bringing in a suspect around 8:00 p.m. I want you to go to the cells, check those remanded there, and tell them there’s someone coming who needs to be ‘disciplined’ a little.”
I asked him, “Ni kwa nini?” (“Why?”)
He said, “I want you to handle it lightly, just rough him up a bit—he’s sustained minor injuries but didn’t speak.”
He added: “Take this KSh 2,000 and deliver it to the remandees. Someone is coming in and I want them to deal with him slightly—orders from higher up.”
I inquired, “That seems unusual. Isn’t it wrong?”
He replied:
“You can’t refuse an order from above. I myself complied. If you resist, something may happen to you—you’re a junior officer.”
I said, “Alright, sir.”
I then requested, “Can we get someone other than PC Kimani for this task?”
He responded, “No. Kimani will not be moved.”
I argued that if Kimani is at the gate, it might raise suspicion.
He agreed and said, “Fine, let’s leave him out of this.”
We opened the door and went downstairs.
⸻
The deputy approached PC Kimani, briefed him about the plan. I headed to the cells to assess who among the remandees had stayed longest. I found Ngige, a familiar remandee.
I told Ngige:
“There’s KSh 2,000. The OCS wants you to ‘discipline’ someone lightly.”
I instructed him to identify people capable of doing the job. Ngige left and returned shortly, saying he had identified a team. He then handed me the money back and said:
“This is to buy alcohol—we can’t do it while sober.”
I went to the canteen, bought alcohol, returned and handed it to Ngige. He went back to his cell.
PC Kimani was instructed to take over the cell sentry duties. He then summoned the inmates to the waiting bay, calling them one by one, confirming all were present. This was around 8:30 p.m.
⸻
I went to the changing room, changed from uniform into civilian clothes. The changing room is outside, near the gate. After changing—around 9:00 p.m.—I went to the canteen and took a beer. I remembered I’d forgotten my key in the changing room.
As I was returning, a black Subaru vehicle arrived and parked at the station entrance. I suspected they were DCI officers. I called IP Nganga to ask if it was the expected team. He told me to ask the OCS.
I observed officers alighting from the vehicle with a suspect in handcuffs. One officer, speaking in Kalenjin, asked, “Who is Mukhwana?” I confirmed my identity. He handed me a phone. On the other end, I heard OCS CI Talam, saying:
“Ni huyo mtu.” (“It’s that person.”)
It was around 9:10 p.m.. I asked an officer who the suspect was, and he pointed to a person at the report office, saying:
“Pea Kimani aweke celli.” (“Give him to Kimani to put in the cell.”)
⸻
I returned to the canteen. After about 10 minutes, I called PC Kimani and asked if they had placed the suspect in the cells. He confirmed they had.
I called OCS CI Talam and asked him the extent of discipline required. He replied:
“The person should be beaten until they need to be taken to hospital.”
The Deputy OCS then summoned me, asking my whereabouts. I said, “Canteen.” He peeped and saw me. Shortly after, PC Kimani opened the cells.
I entered and found Ngige already in the corridor. He asked, “Where is the suspect?”
I pointed out the person. Ngige and the inmates Collins Ireri, Gil Ammon, Brian Mwaniki, and Erick Ndambuki took the suspect to the last cells, opposite the toilets.
From the entrance, I could hear screams. The beating seemed excessive, so I rushed in and stopped them. The suspect was bleeding from the mouth, seated against the wall.
I instructed Kimani to alert IP Nganga that the suspect needed hospital care. It was around 10:00 p.m.
I personally called IP Nganga again to emphasize the urgency. He asked how serious the injuries were. I told him: “Take the patient to the hospital.”
I left, boarded a motorcycle (Uber), and went home to Industrial Area.
⸻
The next day, around 11:00 a.m., I left my house to get a meal. I called Sadam at the report office, asked him to hand his phone to Ngige. I wanted to know if the injured suspect had returned from hospital. Ngige said he didn’t know.
Shortly after, PC Lydia called me:
“Unajua ile kitu imefanyika huku?” (“Do you know what happened here?”)
I replied, “Ni nini?” (“What?”)
She said: “Someone brought in by DCI was found unconscious.”
I said, “Ni kweli.” (“Really?”) Then I went to have my meal.
⸻
I went back to sleep. More colleagues kept calling, asking if I had heard what happened.
I called IP Nganga, asking: “Kumekuwa aje?” (“What happened?”)
He said: “Pigia OCS.” (“Call the OCS.”)
I later called CI Talam, who answered and told me, “I’ll call back.” He never did.
More colleagues called me. I did not report to work for two days. I saw everything on social media—the death of Ojwang.
My conscience began to trouble me. I texted the OCS:
“Hello Sir.”
He didn’t reply.
I followed up with: “Are we safe?”
He responded: “Not bad.”
I then called him. He said:
“Stop discussing this matter on this line. Don’t text me again on this number.”
I deleted the text.
He later called me using a different line and said:
“Don’t discuss this matter on the phone.”
He asked where I lived. I said, “Industrial Area.” He said he would call me to arrange a meeting.
That evening, I was summoned by OC Crime to appear before IPOA.
⸻
On 11th June 2025, I went to IPOA and recorded a false statement, under pressure and fearing the consequences. I believed we were supposed to cover for each other, but later found out my colleagues had shifted all the blame to me.
On 12th June 2025, I resolved to tell the full truth.
⸻
Final Page
When I returned to IPOA, I was arrested and taken to Capital Hill Police Station. I requested to record a fresh statement with Nyakundi, promising to speak the full truth.
Today, 13th June 2025, I was taken to court on a miscellaneous application and remanded until 20th June 2025.
I have now recorded my full and truthful statement in the presence of my lawyer.
Ojwang was not meant to be killed, only to be disciplined, under instructions from OCS CI Talam, who was himself acting under DIG Mr. Langat.
I deeply regret the outcome and extend condolences to the family of Ojwang. May God help them heal from this painful loss.
⸻
Signature of Witness: [Signed] 13/06/2025
Signature of Investigator: ___________________
WITNESS ACKNOWLEDGMENT
I have had the opportunity to read this statement and confirm it is true to the best of my knowledge and recollection. I have made this statement voluntarily, aware that it may be used in criminal proceedings and that I may be called to testify.
Signed: [Signed]
Date: 13/06/2025”
Note: The statement is not our original property, but it is in public knowledge.
Comments